IF you want a healthy way to warm up on a cold winter day, this soup is what you need!
Or, if you’re looking for a way to sneak more veggies into your kids’ diet (or yours!), this is a good way to do it.
This soup is full of yummy veggies, so it’s lower in calories and fat, plus it’s high in fiber. And it’s so yummy, your family will think you slaved for hours making it (but it’s quick and easy!).
Pair it with a lower calorie grilled pimento cheese sammie, and you’ll probably gets lot of hugs for a yummy meal.
|Prep time||20 minutes|
|Cook time||3 hours|
|Total time||3 hours, 20 minutes|
- 1 -16 ounce bag frozen white shoe peg corn
- 1 -16 ounce bag frozen baby lima beans
- 1 -16 ounce bag frozen black eyed peas
- 1 -16 ounce bag frozen small green peas (canned small green peas can be substituted, if you can't find the small frozen green peas)
- 4-5 large carrots (peeled and sliced into fine pieces)
- 3-4 large white potatoes (peeled and diced)
- 1 -28 ounce crushed tomatoes (without added seasoning)
- 1 tablespoon sugar (optional-helps reduce acid)
- Salt and pepper (to taste)
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 cup organic chicken broth (optional - adds more flavor)
- Water (as desired, for thinning)
This healthy low-cal soup tastes like it came straight out of your garden! It feeds 8-10 (depending on your serving size), or it freezes well if you want it for later.
|Thaw frozen vegetables, either in microwave or at room temperature; place in large pot.|
|Put crushed tomatoes in blender; blend until smooth. Add to veggies in pot.|
|Using the crushed tomato can, add two cans water to veggies in pot. TIP: Add more water if you like your soup thinner; reduce the water slightly if you prefer a thicker soup; stir.|
|Add potatoes, carrots, salt & pepper, sugar, and onion powder; stir.|
|If using chicken broth, add chicken broth and stir.|
|Cook on medium/low heat 3-4 hours, or until potatoes and carrots are tender; add additional salt and pepper, if desired. Stir occasionally while cooking.|
|Spoon into soup bowls and enjoy!|